Sunday, February 3, 2013

Idle Hands Are the Devil's Playground

So here I am on a Sunday afternoon with not much to do, and I encountered a blog by a woman that I went on two "dates" with (the first was a hike that I remember because she brought her dog, who ate any and all deer droppings in sight), the second being a "coffee" date, where she informed me that I should never tell anybody that I saw "Dirty Dancing:  The Musical".  Needless to say, I was summarily rejected by her, even after I said I would be interested in seeing her again (though she may have been turned off by the fact that I mistook a caffeine buzz for feeling of "love".  What can I say?  I don't drink coffee that much, and never been "in love", so you could understand my confusion).  Anyway, I read the blog, and recall reading the blog of another woman I had met on a "speed date" (who took the time in her blog to shoot down every male that crossed her table), and realized that hey, I have just as much of a right to spew inane musings on the internet as they (and everybody else does).  Plus, I think I annoy people on Facebook with my incessant observations, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to write a little more and spew as much anxiety-induced things as possible.
So here are the top stories for today:
1.  I didn't receive my paper.  That's the Sunday paper (the Sunday Valley News) with all of the comics and coupons and things that I look forward to (yes, I have started to catch the coupon bug, though it might be a good idea if I don't get them, because I will buy a bag of frozen meatballs, just because I can get $1.00 off on them).  It's the second time they've failed to deliver (or someone's taken the paper).  So, tomorrow, I'm planning on cancelling my subscription.  Maybe they'll ask why.  I guess the reason is that I'm disappointed.  I could be overreacting, which I tend to do from time to time, but sometimes doing something rash makes me feel better.
2.  The anxiety of tomorrow is already creeping in.  I did a software upgrade yesterday, and will have to wait until Monday to see if anything went wrong.  On top of that, I also have the on-call pager, and am supposed to start a new class format for my 6AM class at the gym, which I haven't told the regulars about.  I was going to tell them last Monday, when I knew for sure that the format had changed, but I was too afraid to do so, thinking there's be too many questions and that they'd get angry.  Of course, if they were going to get angry, they're going to get angrier on Monday.  So, it's my own fault.  I've always had the very bad habit of not telling people things for fear of an altercation or argument.  It's a major character flaw.
3.  I made the rash decision to unfriend someone on Facebook.  I've done it a few times - usually because they're annoying, but this time it was because I had had a brief "history" with this particular person and, while I always thought I'd like to rekindle that friendship, they seemed pretty standoffish so, like Martha Jones on Doctor Who, I decided to end it there.  Yes, I just compared myself to a female character on a science-fiction show.  As always, I blame myself.
4.  Online dating.  I'm trying to decide whether to initiate contact with some women who have viewed my profile.  I always thought that, in this electronic age, women would be more likely to initiate a conversation with someone they were potentially interested in, but that doesn't seem to case.  Gender roles are set in stone, I guess, and I suppose they want a "take charge" kind of person.  I'm really not, but, I do try, usually with disastrous results.  I'll keep trying, though, even if I sometimes feel that the solo life is the best for me.
5.  I don't really have a topic five right now.  I just like it better than four.

No comments:

Post a Comment